Monday, August 27, 2007

What a fun weekend!



Well, the girls survived their first week of school and so did we. Almira really seems to be getting the hang of everything and said she enjoys school. She is with a really good group of girls, that will be nice to her. I just hope she can make a good friend this year.

Friday I left work early and went and picked up the girls from school about 1:30 p.m. I had to wait until Almira was through with all her tough subjects. I checked her out during study hall and then she only missed P.E. Jon was already at home and we got everything together and headed out to Dallas, Texas. This is a five hour drive for us and I was able to study my Biology for a while and Almira did almost all of her school work. We had to go back over almost all of her notes she had taken in class. She did suprisingly well with most of the words. She had to write down the reactions from some science experiments that were done in class on Thursday or Friday. I had quite a time guessing of some of the things she had written, but finally got almost all of them. Needless to say the first thing I did this morning at work was to send an e-mail to all her teachers and ask for help and send home more written things, so I can figure out what she is talking about. I heard back from all her teachers by e-mail within an hour. I love that school!

Friday night I attended the Women of Faith conference in Dallas at Reunion Arena and Jon, Sarah and Almira went and checked into our hotel, next to Ranger stadium. Jon's best friend, Dickie and his daughter were already there. The girls and I shared a room and the guys had a room all to themselves across the hall. While I was at the conference Friday night they were in the hotel pool for hours. They had a blast.

Saturday morning we got up and had breakfast downstairs at the Sheraton before Jon drove me over to the conference. Dickie kept the girls with him and they headed to the waterpark. Almira was so excited as this was her first ever water park. They went to Hurricane Harbor, next to Six Flags. They ended up staying almost all day. Jon dropped them off at the hotel and then returned to get me about 5:30 on Saturday afternoon.

Then about 6:30 we headed over to Texas stadium and were hoping to see Mercy Me who sang outside the stadium. But we did not get there in time. We bought tickets for the game and headed in. Some nice man and his wife had handed Dickie two tickets before he bought any. They turned out to be right behind the Rangers dugout. Me and the girls ended up at the very top of the nosebleed section. After the first inning Jon called me on my cell phone and said that there were empty seats all around them. We headed down and found some great seats about 11 rows behind the Rangers dugout. Almira took lots of pictures, which I will have developed. It was quite interesting trying to explain the game of baseball to her. She was amazed by the baseball stadium and especially the crowds at the stadium, when the Rangers hit a home run.

We really did have a great weekend and the girls had a blast. Needless to say I was so happy to get home last night and catch up on my sleep. Sleeping in a room with 3 giggling girls is not exactly restful. Sarah got stuck sleeping with me (or maybe the other way around) because Almira and Kellen said she kicked in her sleep and moved around too much. Sarah is just a bed hog and sleeps right in the middle of the bed.

We got home around 5:00 Sunday afternoon, in time to get started on more school work for Almira. She worked on history (which is really Louisiana geography), then English until time for bed last night. I'm glad she has a really good work ethnic about her school work, which makes it easier to get everything done.

I'll post some baseball pictures soon after I get them developed.

Thanks, Kathy

No comments: