Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Two in the double digits

Today is Sarah's birthday, she is turning 10. I can't believe the time has flown by so quickly. Yesterday morning I was at work and looked at the clock at about 8:30 and I remembered back 10 years ago. I'm so thankful that God let me experience carrying a life and giving birth, at least once. Ten years ago I was hooked up on the drip, experiencing labor, which wasn't too bad at that point. By late in the afternoon of that same day I had only dilated to 4 and was not making any progress. Finally a little after midnight on January 16th at 12:02 a.m. Sarah emerged, during an emergency C-section. Even on drugs, I still remember those moments. I remember everything about it, Jon holding my hand to left, the sound of her crying for the first time. They held her up over the sheet for me to look at very quickly before they whisked her away. And yes, she was born with that red hair, the exact color of my grand mother's, just not very much of it.

I also remember it was so cold and I was shivering so hard that he was trying to hold my shoulders still on the table. It was a couple of hours later before they brough her to me to hold. My family saw her when they walked out of the OR with her and took her to the nursery. My sweet baby. Happy Birthday, Sarah!

No comments: