Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Lots of camps this week ...

This week has been a little bit crazy. Sarah is doing basketball camp at the college in the mornings while Almira and her friend Amanda are doing VBS at the church. In the evenings Almira and Amanda are doing soccer camp at the college.

This week Almira also started her English tutoring at a learning center. Since she will be jumping a grade, I was hoping to get her caught up in English and getting her ready for 8th grade. Last week we received a letter telling us that Almira had been nominated for Honors Math for next year. She started reviewing for math and particularly Algebra getting ready for the test. She took the test on Tuesday morning and we'll have to wait and see how she did. This will determine if the school officials think she is ready for this kind of challenging class next year. While I'm excited for her, I do have reservations about her jumping a grade and then going into an advanced math class.

We know that Almira will be playing soccer this fall and she mentioned to me about playing basketball as well. I was suprised as she has never played before. I told her I thought one sport a year would be enough. I didn't want her to get too overwhelmed with so many new things in the fall.

Sarah will be going to her first away from home camp with the church in 2 weeks. I'm excited for her as I remember how much fun those were, but anxious to let my baby go off on her own. I know all the grownups going and I know she'll be fine, but I'm still anxious.

Some friends of ours lost their son a few weeks bad. It was a horrible and tragic accident. He was 15 years old and was riding a jet ski with some friends. Somehow the jet ski turned over and he was either knocked unconcious or something else. His friends came up, but he didn't. Unfortunately none of the kids had on a life jacket. This was a great kid, honor student and just wonderful from all accounts. He died 1 week before his 16th birthday. Hid dad was his best friend and I can't imagine the loss in his life. His Mom and Dad are both doctors and that probably had to make it even worse, knowing they couldn't save him.

We took Almira and Sarah to the wake as the dad is our dermatologist and we see him often. They did not know Trey well, but we just had just seen him a few months ago. There were so many people there it was a 2 hour wait to go speak to the family. Just a terrible accident, but it does make me hold my kids just a little closer.

We now only have 2 kittens left in our house. The lady that came last week to look at one of the kittens saw the 2 sisters together jumping and playing and said she just couldn't separate them. So both little girl kittens went home with her as a suprise for her daughter. I've been getting updates on them when I got to therapy for my foot. Their names are Duchess and Tinkerbell and are very loved by her daughter and quite spoiled from what I understand. They have a soft kitty bed, crystal bowls to each out of and lots of kitty toys. I'm so happy they are going to have a good home and stay together.

Talk to you later,
Kathy

No comments: