Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Time for the 4th of July...

I can't believe it has been so long since I posted. Things have been very busy around here. To update things, Almira did pass the test and will be in Honors math in 8th grade next year. Wow! Very exciting and scary. I am because I will be the one helping her when she doesn't understand something. I'll have to do a review of my college algebra. It's been a few years.

We are also down to just one little kitten left. We still have the little boy who is just adorable and the sweetest little baby. He loves to snuggle and purrs every time you touch him. If only he could stay little for longer. He was not feeling well and I took him to the vet last Friday, the 27th. He was running fever and very lethargic. The doctor thought he had a little virus, just like a kid gets. He was better for a few days, but now doesn't seem to feel great. He is not playing which just isn't like him.

Sarah survived her first week away from home at church camp. She had an absolute blast. She went to Centri-Kid camp. Here is the link: http://www.lifeway.com/fuge/ck/index.asp

She went to Mississippi College just outside Jackson, MS. She stayed in a dorm for 5 days with her best friend. It was her first time to not have Mom, Dad or a grandparent taking care of her. In a way I think it was good for her, having to set an alarm, having to put her own sheets on her bed, no one to remind her to brush hair, teeth or whatever. She was totally responsible. I think she handled it better than I did. She even seems to have made it home with everything she took. I helped her back going over and used the gallon size ziploc bag packing technique that I used for Kazakhstan. That pretty much means sticking things in bags, rolling them to get all the air out and then putting them in a suitcase. It really does allow you to get so much more in your bag. But then I was worried she couldn't get it all stuffed back in there to get home, but she did.

Almira was with us, which was nice, we don't have her alone that aften. She is like a different child when Sarah is not around. She talks non-stop, wants to do everything with me and is much more agreeable. She is also less moody and spends less time in her room with the door shut. I sometimes wonder if she holds back alot when Sarah is around because she doesn't want to tread on Sarah's territory in a way. I wonder if she feels like we are Sarah's property and she holds back. I have been thinking about this more lately. I try to do everything with them and for them equally. But I realize that Sarah and I have that long standing very comfortable relationship. But not only that, Sarah is very easy going and laid back. They are just very different people. But I still worry about that. I think that is just part of being a parent, we must worry about something or we just wouldn't feel like we're doing out jobs.

This week Almira is at soccer camp at school every afternoon. She seems to be enjoying it. She is attending with her friend Amanda and all the team from school is there as well.

We haven't decided what to do for the 4th this year. It is very tempting to just stay home and sleep late, spend the day swimming and hanging out and then maybe go see the fireworks at the city park. I also have a lot of pictures to post.

Hope everyone has a great 4th! Happy Birthday, America!

Kathy

No comments: