Thursday, April 19, 2007

English lessons


Before lunch today Jon and I went out walking and headed to the Skiff. We have heard so much about this hotel and hoped to run into some Americans. Well, no Americans and the food was not too great. Maybe we ordered the wrong thing. We had Chicken with Pineapple. Definitely not worth the walk. I actually had a piece of bone in my food. The white rice and vegetables on the side were pretty good. Then we went to the ice cream store close to the telecom building where the fish tank is. The ice cream was very tasty and very cheap. We ate at the Skiff and then had ice cream for less than $10.00.

We got back right before 2:00 and waited on Sasha and Maria. They arrived about 2:35 and we headed to the orphanage. Today I brought the CD player for Almira to listen to with the Rush into English CD. I also brought a drawing pad and colored pencils. Almira listened to the CD for over an hour.

When we first arrived and got out of the car we heard someone yell at us in English, “Hello” . I looked up at the window on the 3rd floor and there was Vika waiving at us. We waved back at her and said hello. We then went into the lobby and waited on Almira to come. I saw Vika coming towards me. She handed me a picture she had drawn. It was a picture of a cat with a bow tie and a big smile. It was really good. At the top she had written Cat and at the bottom she had written “I Love You”. I asked her if it was for me and she nodded. I gave her a big hug. I wish I could stick her in my suitcase and bring her home. She is just too adorable. I really need to find out more information about Vika. I can’t remember who, but someone told me she was from a large family and this is the only reason she hasn’t been adopted. If no one is sponsoring her by the time we get home, I hope we can. She is just the sweetest thing.

We had a quiet day with Almira today while she and Maria listened to the English CD. She followed along in the book very attentively. I told her if she got tired of listening she could draw instead. She finally did about 10 minutes before we left. She drew a picture of a teddy bear with a chair. This was our 10th day of visiting and Almira was even counting down the days. We signed our Petition to Adopt today and Almira wanted to read it while we signed the 3 or 4 copies of it. I'm not sure what all it said, but she kind of laughed when she was reading it.

Almira walked us out again today and seemed sad that we were leaving her. We did leave a few minutes early because we are going to buy supplies for her birthday party tomorrow with her family. We left the orphanage and went to buy a couple of ice cream cakes. We understand that we are not allowed to bring true birthday cakes into the orphanage. The orphanage is making Almira a cake and will serve tea. We bought 4 ice cream cakes and lots of fruit for the kids. There are now 26 kids in her family at the orphanage. We wanted to be sure to have enough for everyone. Sasha was going out this afternoon to buy all the fruit for us, apples, bananas and oranges. I’ll be sure and post tomorrow afternoon about the party assuming my computer is still holding up.
Today has been a hard day. The time away from Sarah and everything familiar has really caught up with me. We were told again today that Svetlana is coming in Monday and will take our papers to the court on Monday and get our court date. Maria mentioned again that we may not get a court date before the holidays, which are May 1st and any other days after that the Kaz government chooses to take. This was a crushing blow to say the least. I actually started figuring in my head the cost of flying home next week and coming back. All I can say is just please pray some more for a court date next week. I'm not sure I can emotionally take it if we have to stay an additional week and a half. I know it won't be good for Sarah. Everyone here is nice and we just live for our visits with Almira, but I've never been away from her this long and my heart hurts I miss her so much. This just can't happen. Please pray for us.

Till tomorrow,
Kathy

1 comment:

Shane Moorhead said...

I am really enjoying your blog, congratulations on Almira, she is adorable!! We were in Petro this same time last year adopting our daughter Dasha.( 2 yrs old)
Katya (in the photo of the movie theatre in the background) is my antares sponsor, I think she was at the birthday lunch with you too beforehand.I am so happy to see the older children find homes! Wishing all the best and we'll be keeping up with your blog :-)