Thursday, April 12, 2007

Thursday, April 12, 2007




We are sitting here on the couch waiting to get picked up now. We just came back from a little stroll around town. We got out and walked down to Constitution. We even went into a store, kind of like a small indoor mall. There were different sections like by different vendors. I looked at some beautiful coats. They had makeup, lots and lots of beautiful boots, hats, even children’s clothes. We are getting picked up today at 1:45 p.m. to attend the birthday party at the Donner Café. We have been taking a few little things for Almira every day. When I found out that she was attending a birthday party I told Almira that if she wanted to pick a little gift for her friend from the things I had in the backpack she could. She did and said she would give it to her later, when no one else was around.


This picture is of our beautiful Almira and our likewise beautiful translator, Maria, who is just an absolute sweetheart. She seems to really love the children. I'm also trying to post another picture of Almira with her friends. The little girl I was talking about is Vika, she is just adorable.

We just came back from the birthday party and it was so much fun. The kids are all just fascinated with us. I was joking with Jon that when we’re out walking what if Maria or someone saw us. She would probably panic to see us out alone. She is very protective of us. So we go to the café and we’re all sitting around the table visiting and Maria says “My sister saw you two out walking today”. I said really, at first I thought how did she know us, but then I thought, well we don’t really fit in here. We did get a lot of stares. Her sister was out walking and passed us. She described us as foreigners and gave descriptions to Maria and Maria told her that was us.

Anyway, we talked to Almira quite a lot today. We found out her favorite food is potatoes, her favorite subject in school is math, particularly, Algebra. She said she loves Algebra and makes good marks. Here the children only attend 11 years, so she thinks that if she comes home and starts in the 6th grade, it will be like 5th grade to her. We found out her favorite singer is someone named Sakera? I thought maybe they were Russian, but she is Mexican and sings in America. Almira knows about Brad Pitt, Harry Potter and Britney Spears.

We just fell in love with a little girl that was at the birthday party. She is 13 and looks about 7 or 8. She is just tiny. She has very short blond hair, blue eyes and big dimples. The kids were going to a movie after dinner and we walked half way to the cinema with them. Our apartment was about ½ the distance to the cinema. We walked and I had Almira on one arm and Vika, the little blond holding my left hand. They were both just adorable. When we got to my apartment building Boris stopped and said you are home. We had to tell the children bye. I hugged and kissed all the girls and told them Dusvadonya (goodbye). I told Maria we changed our minds, we wanted to bring home about 3 kids now. I think she thought we were serious. They are just so precious.

We are back in the apartment and I’ve got internet again. Last night I pulled the phone cord out of the little plastic thing in the computer. The man came when Maria was here with us and fixed it. I will try and post some pictures as well tonight. Maria showed me how to save them smaller. We talked about changing Almira’s birthday back at least 1 year. She is just so small. She does not look anywhere close to 13 or 14, more like 11 or 12. Her face looks close to her age, but her body is like a 10 or 11 year old girl here in America.

Tomorrow Maria will pick us up at noon and we’ll go do some shopping and have lunch with Sasha and Maria. We will go to the orphanage at 2:30 tomorrow. Till tomorrow, dusvadonya!




1 comment:

Debra Mike said...

Kathy, I am so glad all is going well for everyone. I am so excited to read your entries. I hope you all have a wonderful weekend. I am praying for all of you daily and I know the Lord is truly watching over you and will bless you. Debra